2015: Zayn Malik Interrupted
2015 was only great until Zayn Malik quit One Direction.
As I read somewhere on Tumblr, 2015 can be divided into pre-Zayn Malik breakup and post-Zayn Malik breakup. And you might say, who really cares if he left and why should I care? I beg to differ. You might have enjoyed 2015 to some extent especially at the beginning, but you soon realized how either mundane or terrible that year went after. Zayn Malik just happens to be the turning point. The precursor to a journey of woes. The scapegoat for my list of reasons why 2015 isn't as great as everyone on Instagram believes.
Pre-Zayn Malik leaving One Direction
- Relatively uneventful, but peaceful life of knowing nothing terrible is happening.
- SNOW DAYS = HAPPINESS.
- I got my first sponsored blog post, from Garage Clothing nonetheless.
- Enjoyed some new friendships and feel like I'm actually going somewhere with my life.
- Last season of Parks and Recreation.
- Met a cute guy on the bus--my level of Facebook stalking reached new heights.
- I honestly don't remember anything else before March.
- While the world never seems so great at any time, I honestly don't think anything too drastic happened before March that was prevalent until post-Zayn Malik.
- Ryan Gosling started tweeting again. Yes, February 4th, 2015. Keep at it, Ryan.
- The Oscars were great.
Post-Zayn Malik Leaving One Direction
- I have surprisingly went to a lot of concerts from Dashboard Confessional, Cold War Kids, PASSION PIT, New Found Glory, to Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness.
- I went to DC and acted like I belonged.
- I found myself a new internship which I'm super excited about!
- I've started exploring Raleigh more and have just relied how amazing this city is.
- Though, with some good things came a lot of bad like job searching go nowhere.
- I have succumbed to the evilness of an auto-immune disorder. My hair was not too pleased.
- And then I started blogging less cause it's hard when you don't have enough hair for that.
- I almost died during Ramadan.
- I sat in a cubicle for way too long.
- I have reached the limit of multi-tasking.
- My grammar has taken a toll.
- I had to deal with Wells Fargo in some legal issues I had nothing to do with.
- Group projects became my enemy.
- Being broke reached new lows.
- I forgot why I'm going to college.
- The movies that came out were pretty great like Jurassic World, Inside Out. Though the Oscar choices are not as great.
- The Mindy Project got cancelled but came back on Hulu.
- Music had the best year--new and old artists. Except One Direction. Though, Justin Bieber had his moment.
- Donald Trump decided to put himself in the running for POTUS.
- ISIS SUCKS. - They are the worst.
- The rise of mass shootings has never been higher.
- All the celebrity couples broke up--well, mostly my favorites like Jennifer and Ben, and Kourtney and Scott. (Apparently Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield broke up too, so I'm even more sad.)
- Most people can agree this year was just not so great in general.
I'm not saying we should blame Zayn Malik for leaving One Direction and causing everyone to have a lots of lows this year. But there was a ripple effect. There is nothing wrong with having a bad year. This just means we can expect more from 2016. I know I'll be graduating from college and still have yet to figure what I'll be doing after. Whatever the new year holds, I'm definitely not ready and will be living in ignorance for a bit.